March 19 update: see revised post here on why these are cancelled.
It’s time to open up slots for 2020 Cherry Blossom Mini Portrait Sessions! I’ve done this for a few years now and absolutely love capturing you all in camera, with the pinks and whites of the blossoms around you. And just being around the cherry blossoms. It’s seriously my favorite time in DC. So what’s this year’s deal?
The Date: March 29
This is right in the middle of the predicted “peak bloom” of the flowers from several sources, most notably the National Park Service itself.
Time: 30-minute slots beginning at 7:30am – this is the best time of day to reduce crowds around the trees and capture beautiful morning light!
Place: Washington, DC, around the Tidal Basin – in years past I provided a map with an X on it, so you’ll be able to find me
Cost: $180 (plus applicable sales tax)
The sessions will include a mini Style Guide to help your family complement colors together and provide tips and tricks for the session! Plus 30 minutes of directed posing on the day, and 10 digital images in an online gallery. The fee also includes the required National Park Service photography permit for the Tidal Basin. You just bring your lovely selves, I take care of all the rest, from posing guidance to getting great smiles out of everyone.
See you soon!
I’m. a little. obsessed. with. cherry. blossom. season. 😀
UPDATE MARCH 12
I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about something important. By now, I’m sure you’ve heard of the coronavirus and its impact both worldwide and locally. While at the very least this is concerning, I wanted to assure you that I am prepared. I’m staying updated on the latest information, avoiding travel to outbreak hotspots, and swapping hugs for a friendly wave. I am healthy so far and hope you and your family are too, and continue to be.
Specific to Cherry Blossom Minis:
Right now, these are still on for March 29 – I am continually re-assessing and listening to local and national guidance. The likelihood of reduced crowds and the early morning may help limit potential spread, and know that during my sessions, I give all guidance verbally and with hand motions – no touching, and I’ll be bringing extra hand sanitizer. That said:
- If you or someone in your family/portrait session is feeling unwell or is immunocompromised, I urge you to take extra precaution and possibly choose to cancel your mini session
- I will honor cancellations as per my contract and require those decisions at least 48 hours in advance. Again, I don’t need an answer immediately, as I myself am still reviewing what is going on and the impact locally.
- In the event I determine it is safest at that point to cancel the sessions this year, I’ll offer mini sessions in the fall. Your payment can go directly to that and nothing more need be done right now. I hope to have more updates and information at the end of next week.
- (Style Guides are coming soon, too)
- Peak Bloom: It’s been so warm that the peak bloom prediction has changed to March 21-24. But, the flowers by no means drop off the trees immediately after that! I’ve lived in DC for many years and have confidence March 29 will still be beautiful, should we move forward with the sessions.
Thank you so much for your understanding and patience as we weather this global health concern together.
If you have any questions or thoughts feel free to reach out at any time.